Thursday, May 24, 2007

Little did they know...

They let us take Annabelle home. Once the little tyke cleared the jaundice test, they literally pushed us out the door. Not that we were complaining, mind you. Two days in the hospital was enough, especially for me. Northside hospital allows for one person, not necessarily the father or a family member, to stay with the mom overnight. This generous gesture however failed to go so far as to actually securing a reasonably comfortable over night resting accommodation for the extra guest, in that the "bed" was a narrow ledge carved under the window thinly padded by a conspicuously stained piece of mattress. I've lived in dorms. I've lived in a house with 6 house mates. I've even lived in a fraternity house with 50 other brothers, so stains do not faze me much. Except these stains... Only a day ago, I assisted in my wife's delivery. I've seen... stains that happen in this kind of hospitals...

I'm not going to dwell on that, so moving forward...

So they let us take out little baby home. First, they asked us a few questions. Plan to breast-feed or formula? Pediatrician's name and number? Rear facing car seat in the car? And so on. We answered appropriately, apparently, since they waved us away.

All through the process I was dreading what I believed would be the inevitable, absolutely necessary and vital question. I imagined the nurse would glower manacingly, untrustingly, and ask:

"Do you guys have any idea what the fuck you are doing?"

The question never came. So we couldn't answer, "No." And so, 10:30 PM, May 17, 2007, we took Annabelle home. While the drive home, it occurred to me that Atlanta Humane Society asked us more questions when we adopted our two dogs from them.

It's been a week since Annabelle came home. She just had her second sponge bath today. She's eating and sleeping well. Maybe we do know something after all. Not sure what it is exactly that we know, but apparently we do in sufficient degree to keep going. And we will. Until our girl pushes off on her own away from us. And even then.

No comments: