Monday, June 11, 2007

Sleep

Dear Sleep,

I miss you. You were easy, maybe not for everyone, but for me, you were easy like a slightly dumpy, insecure teenage girl with daddy issues. You laid down so easily, eagerly for me for as long as I could remember. But now you visit but seldom and never for long, for you know I have another mistress, one who tolerates no rival.

One day you will return to me, but never for as long, as completely as before. Even as I lie wrapped in your clutching embrace, my mind will wander, from time to time, to my other love. Now, and forward. As she grows, starts to crawl, learns to walk and run. As she skins her knees, swoons for her first crush, as she drives for the first time. As she leaves for college, meets her love, and herself begins a family.

It won't ever be the same again.

No comments: